Monday, May 28, 2007

Youth and College Ministry (part 1)

One of the issues of ministry I (Josh) have been thinking through as of late is the way we as the Church minister to youth and college age students. I have been wondering why we use high school and college ministry as an introductory level job on our way up the pastoral corporate ladder. The truth is, is that the future of our church is being handed the most under-qualified amongst us (being new pastors) respectively. Honestly, I do not want this to look as if I just want to complain, because I am actually going somewhere with this. That is, I want to think that there is a reason we should make careers of high school and college ministry. I am quite passionate about loving the constant new generation of the Church and seeing where their hearts are taking the Church. However, in a time where 15-27 year olds are searching for communal identity, vocational identity, and even more (as we see evident in the rising of post-modern theology) spiritual identity. I think the answer lies in discipleship, the kind that breeds discipleship. This is a great vision for the Church in general, but I think it starts with the youth and young adults. I write this as a 25 year old who constantly battles with his identity in his studies, current job, future vocation, marriage, and especially his relationship with God.

No comments: